While it is not required to bring a lawyer to a citizenship interview, having an attorney there to represent you can help expedite the process and improve your chances of obtaining a favorable outcome. This interview is a hugely important event for you and your family, so it makes sense to maximize your chances for success.
Experienced immigration attorneys have attended hundreds of these interviews. Here are five reasons why it can benefit you to have an immigration citizenship lawyer present:
- An immigration attorney can help you prepare for this interview by summarizing your case for you and reviewing some common questions that may be asked. There will be a speaking portion, a reading portion, and a written portion of the interview, and knowing what to expect ahead of time can make all the difference in your results.
- During your interview, there may be times where one of your answers or a question asked by the adjudicator needs to be clarified and explained. Your attorney can help make sure everyone understands what has been asked or said to minimize the risk of some sort of misunderstanding causing you to get denied.
- There may be a unique or nuanced legal or factual issue in your case that a trained and experienced immigration lawyer will be better-suited to explain or argue on your behalf than if you attempt to go it alone.
- Sadly, not all adjudicators enter every interview with an open and unbiased perspective. They may hold a predetermined view that your case should be denied due to certain facts without having ever met you. However, we have found that this is sometimes based on an inaccurate understanding of the law or the particular facts of your case. The right lawyer’s presence can help ensure that your rights are upheld and that the true facts are understood.
- With this being such a momentous occasion for you and your loved ones, you may naturally be nervous and anxious. Having an attorney present that has extensive experience in these interviews may help put you at ease, be yourself, and tell your story as it is meant to be told.
While becoming a US citizen is an exciting milestone you are about to achieve, the citizenship interview can be stressful and challenging. By having an experienced attorney at your side, you can help maximize your chances of achieving a successful outcome. At Bassey Immigration Law Center, P.A., our multilingual firm has over a decade of legal experience protecting the rights of future US citizens.
If you have questions about whether or not you should bring a lawyer to a citizenship interview, call Bassey Immigration Law Center, P.A. 24/7 to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced Tampa, FL immigration attorneys. We look forward to discussing your goals and providing effective, common-sense solutions.